Saturday, November 26, 2005

Being A Pilgrim


Word Reference. com defines the word PILGRIM

pilgrim, a noun: someone who journeys in foreign lands

In 2002 a little girl made a very long journey to a foreign land. It was foreign in its sights, smells, and sounds. It held two parents who loved her before they knew her. But even though it held wonderful opportunities, the journey required giving up a land of birth, a heritage. One that is rich in tradition and local color.



I wonder if most people would conjure this picture in their minds when they read the wordreference.com definition of pilgrim?

When this picture was taken my little girl was 10 months old and had been home from a long journey only about 6 weeks. It was taken on Thanksgiving Day 2002.

During our long wait (13 1/2 months for referral) for this amazing child I was often plagued by a song written by Roma Ryan and recorded by Enya. I say plagued and I mean it. I would drive in my car and be compelled to hear the song on cd. I could not stop myself from playing it over and over. And over and over. I knew it was sort of a compulsive weird thing...but could not stop. I called it my "pilgrim fix". When the cd would play I would stop at #7 Pilgrim and hit repeat until I got to my destination. It is as if I was pulled to these words.

pilgrim

Pilgrim, how you journey
on the road you chose
to find out where the winds die
and where the stories go.
All days come from one day
that must you must know,
you cannot change what's over
but only where you go.

One way leads to diamonds,
one way leads to gold,
another leads you only
to everything you're told.
In your heart you wonder
which of these is true:
the road that leads to nowhere,
the road that leads to you.

Will you find the answer
in all you say and do?
Will you find the answer
in you?

Each heart is a pilgrim,
each one wants to know
the reason why the winds die
and where the stories go.
Pilgrim, in your journey
you may travel far,
for pilgrim it's a long way
to find out who you are...

Pilgrim it's a long way
to find out who you are.....

I haven't thought about this song for a long time. It has been three years since my little pilgrim came home. Earlier this week though, I was jolted back to the place where I revered pilgrims. I attended a Thanksgiving preschool sing along where the children were dressed as pilgrims and indians. Of course, the preschool probably had the English pilgrims of 1620 mixing it up with the Native American Indians in mind. But I was emotionally delivered back to to safety of my car and Enya's haunting voice singing about "one way leads to diamonds, one way leads to gold, another leads you only to everything your told. In your heart you wonder, which of these is true: the road that lead to nowhere, the road that leads to you."

I watched the kids sing about giving thanks for "the things I need, and the sun and the rain and the appleseed, Amen."

Even though we are American/Chinese American as a family, I know there are many types of pilgrims.

Of course I am mindful again about the next pilgrim. Traveling to foreign lands. What will she have to give? Will she find the answers? Will she find the road that leads to "You"?
I hope so.
Thank you Ava, and your little pilgrim and indian buddies for reminding me about the true meaning of Giving Thanks and all that entails being a PILGRIM.

No comments: