Thursday, January 19, 2006

Smelling Like A Flamingo

This winter we have been a little more lax about kiddy baths. I admit it, I'm lazy. I suppose I could tell you that my darling petite flower of a child has such sensitive skin that I just cannot bathe her too often. Oh, that's bull. I am just lazy and she doesn't ordinarily smell that bad. I know too, because I have a dog-like sniffer. (It's a curse.)

I was caught a little off guard though today immediately after preschool pickup. I just could not get this awful smell away from me. After sniffing me, I smell great had a shower less than 3 hours ago, sniffing the dog, she smells terrible as usual but not sweet terrible just old dog terrible and the kitchen sink, not good but not sweet terrible either.

This was sweet terrible. Dollar aisle car freshener terrible to be exact. Not the good car fresheners they sell now at Yankee Candle...no your Grandma's 1977 Buick car freshener.

So, if it isn't me (which quite honestly sometimes it is) and it isn't the dog or the kitchen sink what is it? It's the kid!

I ask her to come here. She hops over. W-H-E-W, its her. I know for a fact that kid did not smell like that before preschool. I ask her why she smells funny. And here is what happened.

Ava: "Well, Laurel from preschool had this special pink lotion and she gave me some so I could smell great like her. We used it all while I was waiting for you to pick me up."

Me: "Aaahhhaaa. That's great babe, it is now bath night. You sort of smell like a ......."

Ava interrupting me: "A flamingo! I smell like a flamingo."

Me: Ok, I have no snappy comeback for that one, baby. Laughing. But those pink feathers absolutely must come in contact with lavender and chamomille wash tonight! O-d-i-f-e-r-o-u-s.

2 comments:

M3 said...

Oh that is hilarious!!! I would never in a million years have expected to hear "I smell like a flamingo." Classic!

Anonymous said...

That's great!!! A beautiful smelling pink flamingo ~ Great!

By the way, I have the same curse with my nose!! I would give anything to be normal in that area. I feel like the bionic woman and the only "super power" they gave me was a nose! What am I supposed to do with this thing? Sniff out a crime?

I dread going to China with this sniffer......good to know I'm not alone.

~Traci