Saturday, January 14, 2006

Hep A And All The Questions That Go Along

Yesterday I had a Hep A shot. This will protect me for the rest of my life from any water or food Hepatitis A while traveling in China later this year. Heck, as a bonus it will also protect me from any Hepatitis A running around my local Target or Children's Museum too. Wonderful..roll up the sleeve and give it to me good.

The nurse starts the procedure by flashing that humongo needle in front of me and asks why I'd want this little ouchy to be the highlight of my day. I explain that I am going to China later this year. "Oh, you are a business woman who travels?", she asks. "No", I reply. (But secretly thinking I must be getting my mojo back after 3 years of mommydom if she at all thinks I could once again pass for a business woman. Is this because I am wearing Bobbi Brown Suede no. 14 lip gloss AND hoop earrings today?) " My husband and I are going to China to adoption our second daughter.", I tell her.

She looks like I choked her cat or something. "But why would you want to do that?", she asks. "Well, oh highly educated and ever so tactful nurse, we want another child." "That must take a really long time. It takes less time to have a baby here.", she says.

I can see where this is going. And it ain't goin' anywhere remotely productive. I start laughing, roll down my sleeve, get up from the chair and head for the door all in one rather ungraceful swoop.

"Oh, you have no idea.", I say. She tilts her head and with all the eloquence she can muster says, "Huh?".

Wow, I guess you sort of have to step outside to a new doctor's office in your best lip gloss to venture outside that adoption bubble now and again.

3 comments:

OziMum said...

You know, I've read numerous "ignoramous" comments now - and it's beyond being serious - I think they're funny. It surprises me (still) that people are so stupid, and ignorant. Oh well. I know why you're doin it - and I think you guys are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Some people just don't get it, unfortunately.

Lisa and Tate said...

I see Dumb people EVERYWHERE.... even educated people!!!! You handled the situation well... Pat yourself on the back.... Also prayer go out to you for a clean cancer screen.


Lisa