Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Which color, which finish, which bevel edge?


I have been shopping for hardwoods for about 2 years now, starting the process and then weaseling out. Jump starting the process by interviewing contractors only to then stop the process when I couldn't make up my mind or the reality of paying for the whole deal come to fruition.

Speaking of which, I think we've decided to go the home equity line route. Here's the funny thing, $29.99 for a new door mat was freaking me out the other day. Taking a home equity line of credit for a 18' x20' room addition and new hardwood floors in my house is well, play money. Hell, its so much money that it just doesn't even seem real. Laaaa laaaa, laaa I can't hear you. Name those 0000s on the back of that number and what the heck we are playing monopoly right?

I have been to 3 showrooms in 3 days. My palms are sweating and my contractor is umm..a little dismayed that I want to buck the system by perhaps purchasing from the close out warehouse people. I reminded him that if his people can cough up $2.45 a sq. ft. for maple in my beloved cinnamon stain by all means we'd be happy to strike up a back yard bar-b-que with his folks.

Maybe I will turn it over to this little gal. Heck it looks like I'm going to let her name my next kid after all. What is a hardwood decision next to that whopper.


Yeah, she looks confident about Maple in the cinnamon stain. I'd trust that face.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

What's not to trust? It's the face of honesty and sheer delight. I'd go with whatever she picks!

Kristin said...

I feel your pain! After endless discussions about flooring Hugh and I FINALLY agreed on the luscious dark (almost black) walnut, only to be informed by our flooring guru that it is NOT a good floor for a family with kids and dogs as it shows every little scratch, nick and dog hair... AHHHH... send Ava over to my house and she can pick my floors as well!